PLACENTA MEDICINE BENEFITS
In Chinese Medicine, placenta pills are a time-honored remedy known to build qi (vital life force), and can be beneficial in addressing problems such as low energy, blood deficiency/ anemia, a low mood after childbirth, and more.
It is a fact that immediately after birthing their young, most mammals consume their placenta instinctively. Certainly, you could simply eat yours after birth the way many women around the world do (there are a variety of different ways to do this), but some prefer to have capsules made, as a more palatable way of consuming their placenta.
The most meaningful feedback about the helpfulness of consuming the placenta during the postpartum period comes from mothers who have experienced childbirth before without it, and now have something to compare it to.
Reported positive effects include:
- Less incidence and/ or severity of the “baby blues” or Postpartum Depression, by way of hormonal balancing.
- Faster healing, with speedier involution of the uterus after birth, and less bleeding.
- An increase in the quality and quantity of breast milk.
- A restorative effect after blood loss – the placenta concentrates large amounts of nutrients, including iron, resulting in a noticeable increase in energy.
HOW TO ARRANGE FOR SERVICES
If you would like to have your placenta encapsulated:
- Call or text 541-261-3537 as soon as possible after your baby is born (if it’s the middle of the night, contact me the next day after 9 am.)
- In the meantime, keep the placenta cool by putting it in the fridge or in a cooler on ice.
- It is preferable to have someone drop it off to me, but if this isn’t possible, I can make a special trip to pick it up for an additional fee of $20.
- Your refrigerated placenta needs to be processed within 48 hours, so do not delay in contacting me. If time constraints do not permit this, please freeze it.
- I will return your finished product to you within a couple of days.
- If you are birthing in a remote location but would still like this service, overnight mail options are available. Please contact me for more information.
Do you have any blood borne diseases, such as hepatitis or HIV? If so, I am sorry, but for health safety reasons, I am unable to process your placenta for you.
Are you birthing at a hospital? You will need to let the staff know that you are keeping your placenta. Otherwise it will be disposed of. Staff will likely tell you that you cannot keep your placenta in your room with you. Prepare for this by bringing a small cooler with you to the hospital, so that it can be put on ice and kept cool in your car if it needs to be taken out of your room. The hospital can provide ice.
What about drugs? This is a largely unresearched area of placentophagy (consumption of the placenta). It is known that some drugs do cross the placenta (if they affect the baby they must cross the placenta), while other substances are filtered out by the mother’s blood/ kidneys/ urine. You must make a personal choice about this. Many feel that the benefits outweigh the potential drawbacks in this case, but only you will be living with the decision.
Please consider sending me a testimonial about how you felt your placenta pills impacted your postpartum period.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
HOW ARE THE PILLS PREPARED?
A recipe from TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine)is followed, which involves steaming, dehydrating, powdering, and putting your placenta into empty capsules. Careful sanitation and universal precautions are used during processing, to protect your health and mine.
WHAT IS AN ART PRINT?
An art print is made by pressing your placenta against watercolor paper to capture an image of it, using blood as the ink, and the placenta like a giant rubber stamp. There is no way to tell how it will come out, but it produces a beautiful image to forever remind you of the life you nourished.
HOW MANY CAPSULES WILL IT MAKE?
That depends on the size of your placenta, which depends on the size of your baby. Most placentas are about 20% of the size of the baby, and yield between 3-5 week’s worth of capsules, if taken according to directions.
HOW FAR AHEAD OF TIME DO I NEED TO ARRANGE THIS SERVICE WITH YOU?
You can just call once your baby is born, and we can go from there. Remember to keep your placenta refrigerated until I get a hold of it. You may also contact me in advance to make arrangements.
“When we learned that our second child was on her way, we knew that all the knowledge we had gained would lead us down a different road. Encapsulating the placenta was not something I had even heard of during my first pregnancy, but I knew it was something I needed to have done this second time around. What a difference it made for me after the birth! I didn’t really realize how much they were helping until I slacked on taking them for a day and a half, and felt my hormones start getting out of control. I am so thankful that I took this medicine that was designed perfectly for me. Not only did I receive my placenta pills, Stella created the most beautiful print that still hangs on my wall. She also twisted the umbilical cord into a small heart, that is a visual reminder our amazing connection during those forty-two weeks! There is no doubt in my mind that when we are blessed with our third child, we will encapsulate the placenta again.” -R.H., Palmer